What more fitting way to honor Earth Day than to commit to doing one good thing for the earth every week.
- Pick up garbage on your street.
- Give bees, birds and butterflies a helping hand by adding plants to your yard that attract pollinators.
- Plant a tree.
- Add a birdbath to your yard. (The birds will thank you!)
- Stop using harmful chemicals in your house and yard.
- Buy more locally grown foods.
- Plant your own vegetables.
- Join others in cleaning up a shoreline or park.
- Recycle, recycle, recycle.
- Reduce your water usage (shorter showers, low-flush toilets, etc.)
- Turn off lights that aren’t in use.
- Limit your number of wood-burning fires.
- Go vegetarian once or twice a week.
- Limit use of your car if possible: group errands, telecommute, walk or bike.
- Support agencies that work towards protecting the environment.
- Let your voice be heard about environmental issues.
- Donate excess goods to charity.
- Appreciate the beauty and wonder of nature.
Got other ideas? Please add them in the comments section.
Prayer: “We praise you, our Creator. Grace us with a sense of our responsibilities to preserve and protect your precious gift, this Garden, this Earth.” – from Education for Justice