Two and a half Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur (two Sisters, one novice) opened a school for girls on Dolores Street in 1866.
Within three years the burgeoning enrollment necessitated building an addition. In 1871 the boarding school opened with three boarders. In 1874 there was the first recorded graduates. From 1875-1898 there were continual building projects which allowed for expansion and even some luxuries like hot and cold running water. The infamous earthquake of 1906 severely damaged the buildings which were later burned by backfire to prevent the fire from spreading. By 1907 a new three-story building was erected on the surviving foundation of the 1898 building.
In 1986, the school was combined with Mission Dolores School.